RE: make -s, how to make it quiet?

From: Joakim Tjernlund
Subject: RE: make -s, how to make it quiet?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:37:37 +0200

I think upgrading to a never automake will be enough for us, at least a big
step in the right direction.

> Otherwise, 'make >/dev/null || make' is a quick help, if a bit
> inefficient.
>
> > > (All I recall at the moment is some long-ago discussion where this feature
> > > was being refused on the ground that it would make bug-reports harder to
> > > analyze ;-)
>
> Your recollection does not match mine.  All I recall is that it was
> refused to have Linux build-style output enabled by default; and all
> patches floating around to enable Linux build-style output (whether
> default or not) had some other problems, mostly they increased Makefile
> size quite a bit.
>
> The issue with making bugs harder to analyze, IIRC, was the enabling
> of Linux build-style output by default: that hides the exact command
> line that caused the error.  This makes for tedious extra round-trips
> between the bug reporter and the maintainer.
>
> > Funny, we want -s to find bugs!
>
> Certainly.
>
> > Anyhow, I am upgrading to newer automake but I get a ton of:
> > ecn_ss/ecn_ppp_bl/Makefile.am:52: pppd_LDADD must be set with `=' before
> > using `+='
> > ne/ecn_ss/ecn_ppp_bl/Makefile.am:57: relayd_LDADD must be set with `='
> > before using `+='
> >
> > Is there any way make newer automake accept those?
>
> Well, these errors were added to help find typos in Makefile.am files.
> You have to initialize the variables before adding to them:
>   pppd_LDADD =
>   pppd_LDADD += ...
>
> Hope that helps.

I know, but there are too many of those to be fixed manually. I guess I need to
write a script(perhaps someone already has?, please send it my way :)

BTW, earlier libtool did have any way of replacing -fPIC with -fpic. I remember
I asked
for this long time ago. Is it possible now? I know -fpic isn't recommended but
when
you have complete control over you system(think emebedded) it isn't a problem.

    Jocke