Re: Autoconf will (not?) detect cross-tools unprefixed

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Autoconf will (not?) detect cross-tools unprefixed
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:53:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Eric Blake wrote:

The original posted of this thread should be smacked for the Subject:,
and every followup poster (including me), for not adjusting it.  :-/

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:37:59PM CEST:

I think we should keep a warning (so that unwary users get aware that
they *may* be using the wrong tools), but not the current one.  Proposed
replacement:

  configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet

[moving a proposed patch from autoconf-patches back to this list]

What does everyone think about applying this patch?

I think that the documentation should skip the rationale behind the behavior and should only document what the software does. It should be clear about how tools are expected to be named. The warnings should sound dire.

The idea that selecting the wrong programs might "lead to some bugs" is kind of funny. Using the wrong tools may in fact build bug-free software which runs great on a completely different operating system or hardware target.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn