AC_TYPE_UINT8_T not working as advertised

From: John Calcote
Subject: AC_TYPE_UINT8_T not working as advertised
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:52:39 -0600

Hi Eric & list,

According to the doc (Section 5.9.1 of the GNU Autoconf manual):

AC_TYPE_UINT8_T [Macro]
  If 'stdint.h' or 'inttypes.h' defines the
  type uint8_t, define HAVE_UINT8_T. Otherwise,
  define uint8_t to an unsigned integer type
  that is exactly 8 bits wide, if such a type
  exists.

When I use this macro on an OpenSUSE 10.3 Linux box with GNU C
installed, my config.h includes ONLY the following additional text:

/* Define for Solaris 2.5.1 so the uint8_t typedef from <sys/synch.h>,
   <pthread.h>, or <semaphore.h> is not used. If the typedef was
   allowed, the #define below would cause a syntax error. */
/* #undef _UINT8_T */

/* Define to the type of an unsigned integer type of width exactly 8
   bits if such a type exists and the standard includes do not define
   it. */
/* #undef uint8_t */

Where's the definition of HAVE_UINT8_T? My platform has it, but it's not
defined in config.h. Is this an oversight?

Thanks!
John