Implementation of `AC_COMPUTE_INT'

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Implementation of `AC_COMPUTE_INT'
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:36:58 +0100

Hi,

I've seen people reporting `configure' failures due to
"cannot compile sizeof (char)".  Investigating the issue, it turned out
to be that, in a native compilation environment, the executable produced
by `AC_COMPUTE_INT' could not be run because some library specified in
`$LIBS' was not in `$LD_LIBRARY_PATH'.

Hence my question: why not always use `AC_COMPUTE_INT_COMPILE' instead
of `AC_COMPUTE_INT_RUN'?  I realize the former might be slower in some
cases, because of the binary search, but maybe not that slower with
small integers as is the case with `AC_CHECK_SIZEOF', and probably more
reliable.  (And it uses a very smart trick, BTW!)

Thanks,
Ludovic.