Re: different hosts in subprojects

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: different hosts in subprojects
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:32:23 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Bernd Jendrissek <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> With some
> shell / batch file magic I was able to get "./configure
> --host=unknown" to generate a config.h for the DOS / TopSpeed C
> environment, that I then renamed and kept as a precious artifact.
> After another "./configure --host=`config.guess`" my build tree was
> back to native building.

This requires a decent knowledge of Autoconf mechanisms. I am not a wizard;
when I do such things they break.

> Luckily for me, TopSpeed C had its own build system, so I just needed
> to tell it (via the FIFOs) to do its equivalent of "make all".  The
> rest of the project, whose $host was equal to $build, was under the
> control of automake.  What sort of build system do you have for the
> ARM and AVR stuff right now?

Just makefiles (the tools are binutils, gcc and avr-libc);
they lack many desirable functions (tar distributions, configure
programs features and directories, etc); I wanted to use Autotools
in order not to invent so many wheels.

> Another data point is GCC, which uses sub-configures to build the
> target libraries.

Thank you. I'll look.

> I'm not sure there IS a "right way" to autoconfiscate these sort of
> projects that involve compilers for more than one target.

Well, may be "the most correct way" or even "the way to configure such projects
with something that provides Autoconf functionality".

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/