Re: aclocal or acinclude?

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: aclocal or acinclude?
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:10:51 -0600

Andreas Schwab wrote:
John Calcote <address@hidden> writes:

The autoconf manual suggests that you should WRITE an aclocal.m4
if you want to add project-specific tests. If you write one, will the
aclocal script append to the one you wrote?

If you use aclocal you "write" aclocal.m4 with it.

Andreas.

Thanks everyone. My problem was that I didn't get that the aclocal program is packaged with automake, not autoconf. After reading all your responses, I now understand that autoconf uses a file called aclocal.m4, but the aclocal program (packaged with automake) generates this file in order to put all of the automake-specific macros in a place that autoconf understands - aclocal.m4.

Thus, the automake documentation indicates that you should use acinclude.m4 to add *additional* macros beyond those that automake adds to the autotools environment, and that the aclocal program will combine these into one all-encompassing aclocal.m4 file in the end.

These are the sort of misunderstandings that come of evolutionary design. :) The documentation is clear enough, it's just spread around a bit.

Thanks for everyone's input.

John