Re: Feature Request: Administrator Install

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Feature Request: Administrator Install
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 07:48:12 +0100

Hello David,

* David Masterson (damaster) wrote on Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 05:37:00AM CET:

> Thanks.  You output a lot of good information (except $PATH -- how do I
> know where you found gcc?  ;-).  I think it would be nice if this was a
> standard part of autoconf so that all tools would have (at least some
> of) the information with them when they get installed.

Actually, I think all of the information you desire is listed in
config.log, but keep config.status for good as well.

I think when config.log was introduced, it more or less did exactly what
you wanted.  Just now it contains more information, packages' configure
scripts are larger and have more tests and more settings, and so it
seems that config.log is too large a file to be a "nice" overview.

For example, $PATH is listed early in the file.  The way configure is
invoked, is listed, too, but you can get at a better-escaped one with
  ./config.status --version

All the configure substituted variables, and defines, are listed at the
end of config.log, as are all the cache variables, and all the files
generated.  So really this file contains all information you're likely
to want, just not in a nice one-screenful way.

Problem is, I don't think Autoconf can automatically tell which
screenful of all that information is the one desired for your package.