Re: Can't open configure

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Can't open configure
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:18:30 -0700

According to Paulo J. Matos on 1/28/2008 1:06 PM:
| Hi all,
|
| I never had this issue and I can't understand the problem. I'm getting
| the following in a certain project:
| $ autoreconf
| /usr/share/aclocal/soup.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_PATH_SOUP
| /usr/share/aclocal/soup.m4:7:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
| /usr/share/aclocal/soup.m4:7:   or see
| http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal

Did you write AM_PATH_SOUP, or did it come as part of some other package?
~ If the latter, then forward this mail on to the author of that file, and
point them to the link in the error message.  Meanwhile, you can make the
warning go away by writing:

AC_DEFINE([AM_PATH_SOUP],

rather than the current
AC_DEFINE(AM_PATH_SOUP,

Also, it is generally a bad idea for macros to use someone else's
namespace - the AM_* namespace is primarily for automake, but automake
does not own the AM_PATH_SOUP macro.  Whoever wrote the macro should
consider renaming it into a different, distinct namespace.

| acinclude.m4:6593: the serial number must appear before any macro definition

This warning means that the file contains a line that looks somewhat like
# serial nnn
but that there were instances of AC_DEFINE prior to the serial number.  To
avoid this warning, move the serial number line up to the front of the
file, before any macros are defined.

| autom4te-2.61: cannot open configure: Permission denied
| autoreconf-2.61: /usr/bin/autoconf-2.61 failed with exit status: 1
|
| What could be behind this?

That is your actual error (the others were just warnings).  What are the
permissions on configure (if it exists), and on the directory where it is
supposed to be created?  Could it be that you have a read-only source
directory?

- --

Eric Blake             address@hidden