Re: Check for m4

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Check for m4
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 18:40:15 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Kamaljit Singh wrote:

I have a configure created on linux but run on solaris.
The configure runs fine but if a Makefile is deemed out of
date and is redone then auto4mte bails out claiming /usr/bin/m4
needs to be version 1.4

Ofcourse there is no /usr/bin/m4 on my system and /usr/local/bin/m4 is
version 1.4. I can work around by setting M4=/usr/local/bin/m4 in my
environment.
but is there a "better" way using some autoconf macros to get this done ?

The solution is to configure on the host where you will be running 'make'. Create a build directory and configure from outside the source tree to allow doing builds on both Linux and Solaris.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn