Re: differences running in build dir or install dir

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: differences running in build dir or install dir
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:30:51 -0500

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 09:37:57AM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Bob Rossi wrote:
>
> > This is a sort of general purpose question. It's typical that the
> > build directory and the install directly have a different
> > directory hierarchy. Therefor, if you run a built program in the
> > build directory versus in the install directory, it would require the
> > built program to look for files in different locations. My question is,
> > is it typical to encode into the program a bit that tells it if it's
> > being run in the build or install directory? Is it typically to say,
> > "Only run the program from the install directory?" The second response
> > would be to bad, considering the make install rule can be just an
> > extra step in the development cycle, thereby wasting more precious time.
>
> I guess it just really depends on what exactly is involved when you say
> "look for files in different locations", i.e. what kind of files.

Hmm, I suppose I should have described the situation in more detail.

One of the things my build system does is compile a bunch of plugins. The
application scans a directory, and attempts to load all of the plugins
in that directory. When I run the program from the build dir, the plugin
directory is in a different location than when it's installed.

I have other issues that are for different reasons, but have the same
effect. I was wondering what the solution to this sort of problem was.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi