Autoconf/autotools and the D language

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Autoconf/autotools and the D language
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:58:02 +0200

Hello everyone,

I'm just starting to investigate the D language:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
http://www.dsource.org/

... and am curious about the level of autotools support for this.

Where I've seen the autotools used, generally they involve some sort of
cheat along the lines of setting CC=gdc (the GNU D compiler) and
checking for the compiler's presence using AC_PATH_PROG, as e.g. here:
http://wiki.sukimashita.com/Dskel

Many D programmers seem to be rushing ahead with their own build system,
dsss, but I'd be keen to see proper autotools support.

Can anyone advise and give some good general pointers?

Many thanks,

    -- Joe