Re: Detecting Autoconf and Including Additional M4 Files

From: Christopher Key
Subject: Re: Detecting Autoconf and Including Additional M4 Files
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:56:45 +0100

Eric Blake wrote:
According to Christopher Key on 9/24/2007 5:15 AM:
Hence, what I'd like to do is to be able to
detect whether autoconf has been used, and act appropriately

Why not just a simple AC_DEFINE using a macro name of your choice, that
you know will not be injected into your compilation if you didn't run
autoconf?

Will do, I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel! Had there been a standard way of doing this (or a standard name for the define), I'd have used it to make life easier for folks trying to understand what I'd done.
Secondly, I'm also wanting to detect whether there an arithmetic right
shift available.  I've found a test that does this, and have put it in
package/m4/asr.m4.  What I'm wondering is how to ensure that this file
is included.  The only way I've found to achieve this is to add
'ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4' to package/Makefile.am, but this doesn't seem
quite right.

Actually, it is the documented way to do things if you use both autoconf
and automake.

I'll have to reread the various guides again, as at the moment, this seems rather counter-intuitive to me. Conceptually, the way that I had seen the system working was that configure.ac is 'run', producing configure as an ouput, and taking Makefile.am as 'inputs' and producing corresponding Makefile.in as outputs. As asr.m4 is a 'dependency' of configure.ac, it seems like it should be 'included' from configure.ac itself, and not one of its inputs.

Regards,

Chris