Re: conversion to git

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: conversion to git
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:07:18 -0700

address@hidden (Bob Proulx) writes:

> As far as the plethora of systems in use I believe that a consolidation
> is occurring.  In particular I see that Git is gaining a larger and
> larger community of developers every day.  People will always argue
> endlessly that abc is better or worse than xyz.  But in the end I don't
> think there will actually be that many different systems in active
> projects being used.  I think Git is definitely in the running to be the
> dominate version control system.  It is a good choice for autoconf.

Agreed.  There are a few other interesting contenders out there with
significant install bases that probably won't go away soon (Mercurial is
being backed by Sun, for example, and bzr by Canonical), and I expect
Subversion will persist for quite a while for more centralized models.
But at the moment, Git is picking up the most momentum, and I think we'll
find the world converging on either Git or Subversion depending on the
level of conservatism desired.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>