Re: changing the default compilers for autoconf

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: changing the default compilers for autoconf
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:41:21 +0200

On Sep 12, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Sanjay Gianchandani wrote:

Hey all,
the changes that Ralf suggested pretty much worked for me, except for two
things...
one i still dont know how to set autoconf or libtools[i guess for this i will need to mail the libtools mailing list?] to use the sun performance libraries, and second as i said previously, i wantd to make this more as a S
un compiler based version of autoconf, which could be used by any and
everyone who is interested in making...if the change needs to be made in the configure.ac of each of the applications then it pretty much defeats the
purpose...

Hi,
I'm afraid you will have to tell the list how to actually usethe Sun performance libraries: is it a matter of adding a compilation flag for all translation units? Does this flag needs to be used at link time too? Is it simply a library that has to be used at link time? Etc.

Second, I suggested that you modify the system-wide config.site so that it sets CC and CXX to the Sun compiler, this has several advantages: - Can easily be installed on various machines (it's just a matter of modifying a file) - Requires no changes to autoconf (why would want to deal with a sort of fork of autoconf that will annoy you when new versions are released and that will force you to re-bootstrap the projects you download off the Internet -- remember that autoconf is needed only to create the initial configure and stuff, when you download a pre- packaged tarball off the Internet it's already bootstrapped and you'd need to invoke autoconf again so that configure is regenerated to suit your preferences!) - Is system-wide (applies to all users in there back) and requires no changes to any existing configure.ac. So why not go for this idea? I should be feasible, at least as far as I know.

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory