AC_SEARCH_LIBS for GSL fails with -lgslcblas

From: Rutger van Haasteren
Subject: AC_SEARCH_LIBS for GSL fails with -lgslcblas
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:46:53 +0200

Hello list,

Some experts on the GSL (GNU Scientific Library) mailing list pointed me to
this mailing list. I am having troubles checking for the appropriate library
when linking to the GSL library (I wanted to use custom blas libraries, like
ATLAS or MKL). Although I already have it working now, I do not know why I
had this particular problem. Perhaps one of you know the answer? First of
all, the version of autoconf I am using appears to be:

$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61

Now, if I would use the recommended way to link to the GSL library with the
GSL blas library, I would write in my configure.ac:

AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)
AC_CHECK_LIB([gslcblas], [cblas_dgemm])
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gsl_atanh, gsl)
Which gives:
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for cblas_dgemm in -lgslcblas... yes
checking for gsl_atanh in -lgsl... yes

However, the following should also work:

AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gsl_atanh, gsl, [], [], -lgslcblas)
Which gives:
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking for gsl_atanh in -lgsl... no

The GSL guy that pointed me towards this list did the same thing, and there
he had a 'yes' on the last line. Does one of you know what the problem there
is/could be? Thanks!

Rutger

ps. I am not on this mailing list, so please CC me in your reply