Re: Configuration management Debian-Automake-autoconf

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: Configuration management Debian-Automake-autoconf
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:36:02 +0200

On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 02:59:19PM +0200, Aslak Johannessen wrote:
> Much of this information is duplicated and the "need" for a
> centralized configuration file for each project is wished for.

Ideally, you pass everything to configure and get everything done by
make install, so nothing is duplicated. In my experience, the most
annoying part is shuffling the installed files between different
packages, e.g., when several Debian packages should be produced from a
single source package. I'm not sure whether it would be useful to
reflect this in autotools, since different distributions might wish to
do it differently.

Otherwise, I don't see much of duplicated information. Ok, you'll have
to deal with the package name and version, but I'm again not sure
whether you want to share these with autotools since source package foo
can be used to produce libfoo0.deb, and Debian packages can have several
revisions for a single source version. Do you have any concrete examples
of such duplicated information?

> My question is therefor is there such a system for configuration
> management that can handle generation of the correct files or at least
> substitution of them?

Debhelper and similar tools generate the necessary templates for you,
after that you have to maintain them manually since the build system is
very flexible and there is no one-size-fits-all tool to maintain them.

With kind regards,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov
http://www.kz-easy.com/