RFE: Generating a stub Makefile

From: Mark Heily
Subject: RFE: Generating a stub Makefile
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:06:49 -0400

Currently, Autoconf does not generate a top-level Makefile when running 'make dist'. This means that users are forced to type './ configure' before typing 'make'.
Otherwise, you get the error:

        make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

This seems I would like Autoconf to generate a stub Makefile to include in the top-level of each tarball. The purpose of this stub Makefile is to call ./configure to generate the real Makefile and then re-invoke make(1) using the real Makefile.

Here's a simple example of a stub Makefile:
---------------------------------------
all:
        ./configure
        make

install:
        ./configure
        make install

This idea could be extended to include other targets such as dist, clean, etc.

My intention is to save typing for power users and make it easier for novice users to build programs from source. This effectively hides the Autoconf/Automake mechanism unless someone wants to pass specific options to the configure script.

Any thoughts?

-Mark