Re: alignment boundary

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: alignment boundary
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 08:29:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Bob, Andrew, all,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Sat, May 12, 2007 at 03:42:04AM CEST:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007, Andrew Makhorin wrote:
> >
> >I am wondering, if there is a way to determine the alignment boundary,
in bytes, i.e. the boundary suitable to allocate data of any type on a
particular platform. An example would be highly appreciated.

> One approach is to use malloc() to allocate some memory and see what
the alignment of the returned address is:

Its alignment could be much larger than needed, no?

If you have only a finite set of data types to check, then you can use
AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF on (a union of) the types.

Hope that helps.