Re: error when using autoconf 2.60 or 2.61 with MSYS/MinGW

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: error when using autoconf 2.60 or 2.61 with MSYS/MinGW
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 10:26:20 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues wrote, quoting Vincent Torri:
>> I have installed autoconf 2.60 on windows with MSYS/MinGW in /usr.
>
> The fact that you have installed software in MSYS /usr makes your
> question one that is appropriate on the MSYS or MinGW mailing lists,
> rather than on the list of the software you installed.

Indeed.  When I responded to Vincent's query, I initially assumed
that we were on one of those lists.

> IIRC MSYS treats software in /bin /usr/bin specially, with respect
> to path translation and the like.

This is true, for all MSYS versions prior to the current development
MSYS-1.0.11 snapshots.

> Please install in /usr/local unless you know what you are doing,
> and everything will work fine.

Maybe not, if Vincent is trying to use a native perl interpreter,
rather than the MSYS special build we provide.

> If not, then please report back.

In the first instance, it may be better to take it up on the MSYS
list <mailto://address@hidden>

> (I think things are vaguely explained in the MinGW wiki or FAQ.)

I didn't think it was so vague, especially in the README.rtf file
accompanying MSYS itself.  If you think it can be improved, and can
suggest how, contributions will be gratefully received.

Regards,
Keith.