Re: NO! autoconf cross-tools detection is really useful!

From: Balint Joo
Subject: Re: NO! autoconf cross-tools detection is really useful!
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:02:20 -0400

Hi,
This is a slightly different issue, but here is a feature to please keep,
or give a new way of doing if it will be changed.

   I often have situations where I have to give some dummy host triplet
and then explicitly specify the compiler eg for Cray XT3 builds:

CC="qk-gcc" CXX="qk-g++" --host=x86_64-none-none --build=x86_64-suse-linux

Here I want cross compilation and the compilers have nothing to do with the
host triplet etc.

Given that I don't actually ask autoconf to guess CC and CXX but specify
it most concretely this may be an irrelevant comment but I just wanted
to be sure to let you all know.

- I do not use the 'guess' features nearly as much as specifying things.
In cross compiling guessing doesn't always work well anyway

- I cross compile most of the time eg for:

   - Computers with different front and back ends
   - Computers where front and back end are architectually similar,
     but have different environments (eg back end is behind a queue and so
     tests cannot be run)

Ciao,

l l wrote:
Hi,

"configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect cross-tools
whose name does not start with the host triplet.  If you think this
configuration is useful to you, please write to address@hidden"

The configuration is Really useful to me!

TIA