Re: AC_PROG_CC with absolute path

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC with absolute path
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 20:18:23 +0200

Hello Harald,

* Harald Servat wrote on Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:32:40PM CEST:

>   I'm trying to provide a compiler to this macro (using it's name and
> the full path name) when some special conditions occur but as it isn't
> on the default $PATH, AC_PROG_CC skips it.
[...]

Could you show exactly what you did, rather than describe it in words?
I ask because I'm wondering whether you as developer of a package put

  AC_PROG_CC([/path/to/compiler])

in configure.ac, or maybe instead
  : ${CC=/path/to/compiler}
  AC_PROG_CC

or you as user of a package did
  ./configure CC=/path/to/compiler

and what semantics didn't fit with your expectations; i.e., what
happened, and would you have expected to happen instead?  Because
the above things all work just fine for me.  Please also state the
Autoconf version used.  Thanks.

[...]
>   So, is there any way to provide a full path of a C compiler in the
> AC_PROG_CC macro? Is there any other alternative that I should have in mind?

Not sure yet.  Is this a package for general use, or just for you, on
your system only?  Is adherence to GNU Coding Standards an aim for it?