Re: autoconf-2.61's AC_LINK_IFELSE with MinGW cross-compilers

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: autoconf-2.61's AC_LINK_IFELSE with MinGW cross-compilers
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:04:35 +0200

Hi Chris,

* Chris Johns wrote on Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 08:45:36AM CEST:

> The autoconf-2.61 release added a 'test -x' to AC_LINK_IFELSE and that has
> broken MinGW based cross-compilers using autoconf packages in MSYS.

Not the one I'm using.  Debian testing's cross compiler package
i586-mingw32msvc-gcc chmod's its executable output to 0755.

> RTEMS uses AC_LINK_IFELSE and MinGW cross-compilers fail this test.

Which compiler and version is used?

> A MinGW compiler cannot set an execute bit on an executable as Windows
> provides no support for it.

But a cross compiler knows that it's a cross-compiler on a unixy $build,
so in principle it could try, no?  Anyway, let's see what compilers
don't do this in practice, theory counts little here.

> Is the 'test -x' suitable for MSYS and a cross-compiler ?

Well, this is AFAIK the first bug report about this.