Re: GNU M4 1.4.8b released (beta release)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: GNU M4 1.4.8b released (beta release)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:34:43 -0700

Matthew Woehlke <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually, I'm inclined to agree with Eric's reading of POSIX:

I'm not so inclined, but regardless of the reading that's POSIX
1003.1-2001.  The older Tandem release supports an older POSIX
release, and 1003.1-2001's additions are irrelevant to whether
it conforms to the older POSIX.

> In m4's case I'm inclined to agree that not supporting 'long long' at
> all seems to be the way to go.

Yes.

> In the long run, I'm still not convinced this won't come back to
> bite something that relies more heavily on file-system calls (since
> some system calls still return 64-bit data types).

Possibly.  But I'm afraid we're sort of stuck here.  As far as I know
you are the only person in the world trying to port modern GNU apps to
this obsolescent Tandem release.  If you can some up with some sort of
hacky way to do it, that's great.  I wouldn't worry too much about the
"possibly biting" stuff.