autoreconf --clean

From: David Byron
Subject: autoreconf --clean
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:13:19 -0700

I'm trying to find a way to remove all the files that autoreconf -fvi puts
in my source directory.  This feels like something that someone else must
have dealt with or at least thought about before.  It seems like a --clean
option to autoreconf would do the trick.  I'm happy to take a crack at it,
but could use a little guidance.  Is there another way to make
files/directories like:

aclocal.m4
autom4te.cache
config.guess
config.h.in
config.sub
configure
depcomp
install-sh
missing
and all the Makefile.in's generated from Makefile.am's

disappear?

I'm also have in my head that it's OK to have the source directory on a
read-only file system but then these files would have to go somewhere else.
This isn't my goal, but perhaps they're related?

Thanks much.

-DB