Re: Location of declarations in Linux vs FreeBSD, etc.

From: Philip Kovacs
Subject: Re: Location of declarations in Linux vs FreeBSD, etc.
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:47:45 -0500

* Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> [2007-03-05 20:27:31 +0100]:

> The next more complicated case is with conflicting header files.
> In that case I guess you should write a special test.  You can
> use AC_COMPILE_IFELSE for general compile tests, and AC_CHECK_DECL
> to find out if a symbol is declared.  You'll have to work around
> the caching though if it really depends only on the set of included
> headers (e.g., by unsetting the cache variable before the test).

Yes, I tried a few tests using this approach and I can, with some effort,
create definitions such as DAEMON_IN_STDLIB or DAEMON_IN_UNISTD, etc.

I'm convinced now this method is overly complex and rather brittle....

I think the thing to do is a) include both headers and be done with it or
b) code a small daemon function myself given that some unices may not have it.

Thanks for your response.

Phil