Re: "has changed since the previous run"

From: DJ Delorie
Subject: Re: "has changed since the previous run"
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:42:41 -0500

> > IMHO autoconf's test shouldn't be so sensitive to whitespace
> > changes.
>
> You keep saying that, but that doesn't make it more right.

Since I'm merely stating my opinion, by definition it is right.
Whether or not the test should change is, of course, debatable.

But I fail to see the point of a test that fails (not just warns)
about CFLAGS changing from "-O2" to "-O2 ".

> And they go away if I rebuild, with Autoconf-2.60, newlib/configure and
> all other configure scripts that themselves call AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.

Hmmm... I'll have to try with 2.60 then.  I reviewed the changes
therein but didn't see anything that would have solved the whitespace
problem.

> Should I hack up a patch that fixes things for you for 2.59 only?

Given the relatively large number of packages I'm dealing with, and
how many people are re-autoconfing them, I don't think that would be a
viable solution.

If 2.60 fixes it, I might petition to have everyone move to that.