Re: linking small programs with AC_LINK_IFELSE

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: linking small programs with AC_LINK_IFELSE
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:33:31 +0100

* Benoit Sigoure wrote on Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:38:26AM CET:
> Quoting Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>:
> >
> >So add a symbol to your modified libexpat.  Link against that symbol in
> >your source code.  Use -no-undefined.  Then programs will fail to link
> >(and on some systems, those where -no-undefined works well, also
> >libraries will fail to link).  Of course you've broken the API now.
>
> Why would it break the API if he simply adds a dummy symbol to make the
> difference between stock libexpat and his modified version?

Oops.  Sloppy me, sorry about that.

Bob's libexpat would be a compatible, extended interface of the previous
stock libexpat.  Only moving from Bob's libexpat back to a (possibly
newer) stock libexpat would be breaking the interface.

But anyway since Bob won't be able to force (at least I guess so)
upstream libexpat to skip a version number just for his fun), he won't
be able to reflect the incompatibility in the version numbering alone.
Either the modified library should remain private, or be renamed; or at
least the dependence on the dummy symbol be declared forbidden for
public users.

If this is a private-only change, then just do it, don't worry.