Re: "Present But Cannot Be Compiled" - anyone want reports?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: "Present But Cannot Be Compiled" - anyone want reports?
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 22:12:37 +0100

* Matthew Woehlke wrote on Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:03:39PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >Oh.  I think there was a bug in Autoconf 2.60 and earlier[...]

> Hmm, ok so... I should report 'present but cannot be compiled' headers
> to the package maintainers (i.e. kde-devel),

Yes, and please give them details from config.log.

> and should investigate if the lack of an address is KDE's fault (i.e.
> forgot AC_INIT) or autoconf's fault?

Well, the outputting of the string "AC_PACKAGE_NAME" is a bug in
Autoconf.  You did not mention which version was used, and I think
the bug should not show with current Autoconf.  So please show us
a small example how to reproduce it with 2.61.  (The top of the
configure script tells the Autoconf version used, as well as
  ./configure --version
when done with non-ancient Autoconf releases.)

Whether KDE passes a bugreport address in configure.ac or not is at
their discretion.  Doing so surely helps to direct traffic away from the
Autoconf lists though.  ;-)