Re: proposal - command-line option checking

From: Matthew Woehlke
Subject: Re: proposal - command-line option checking
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:12:24 -0600

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
- As long as we don't have a way to find out the set of allowed
  arguments in a package tree hierarchy, there needs to be a way to
  turn off the warning for a developer.  A new macro would do.
  Should the macro be overridable by the user?
Shouldn't the upper-level configure know about options in the lower level? This would solve this problem, and would be beneficial for option discovery as well.

No. That would multiply the work for the top-level configure maintainer and make the top configure script sensive to release updates of subordinate packages. The coupling needs to be reduced as much as possible.

In an ideal world, the sub-package maintainers would be responsible for that. :-) I'm not saying it should be mandatory, but making it 'best practices' I don't think would be a bad idea. Anyway, I wasn't opposed to the original point, just pointing out that we should /also/ have a way of making this 'less painful'.

Currently top level configure scripts can be quite simple.

Complexity shouldn't be an issue; you either have a list of options or you don't. Am I missing something?

--
Matthew
What? This signature /again/?