Re: After upgrade autoconf from 1.13 to 2.57, I experienced some problem

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: After upgrade autoconf from 1.13 to 2.57, I experienced some problems - HELP
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:38:26 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Andreas Schwab wrote:

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> writes:
In contrast, I can plug current ncurses libraries into a system that's
built with ncurses 5.0, and just assume it'll work.  That's from 1999.

That's not a useful comparison.  How many new features have been added to
ncurses in the last 6 years?  Also, try compiling the 6 years old code

A lot more than autoconf.  Run a diff and compare.

with a state-of-the-art compiler.

Again, works better than you're insinuating.  (I maintain a set of test
libraries for lynx regression builds - back to ncurses 1.8.7 - and have
to periodically rebuild them due to ABI slippage in glibc ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net