Re: autoconf, pkg-config and cross-compiling

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: autoconf, pkg-config and cross-compiling
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:10:07 -0800

Chris Ross <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm currently trying to cross-compile gst-python-0.10.5 amongst other
> things and configure emits the following:
>
>       checking for arm-3d-linux-pkg-config... no
>       checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
>       configure: WARNING: In the future, Autoconf will not detect
>       cross-tools whose name does not start with the host triplet.
>       If you think this configuration is useful to you, please write
>       to address@hidden
>
> Actually, this feature is useful to me so as requested I am writing to
> let you know that. (In the above instance, it has found the wrong
> pkg-config).

Am I understanding you correctly?  In this case, 'configure' did the
wrong thing -- but you _like_ this feature?  That is, you _want_
'configure' to keep doing the wrong thing in future releases?

Sorry if I'm slow.  I am not a major user of cross-builds, so I
often need their problems to be explained to me in a non-terse way.