autoconf within GCC

From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH
Subject: autoconf within GCC
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:53:00 +0100

Dear All,

I'm a newbie to the autoconf list. I'm familiar with linux, m4,
... but still a newbie to auto* stuff.

I'm working inside GCC and need to regenerate the configure scripts there.

I summarized my understanding of GCC configurism in the Wiki
   http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Regenerating_GCC_Configuration

this page was previously known as
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/AboutGCCConfiguration on the GCC wiki.

I do undersand that GCC is quite complex w.r.t. autoconf (in
particular, using autogen, 2 different versions of autoconf, and the
build/host/target distinction in GCC).

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-11/msg00508.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-10/msg00610.html
but did not got any definitive answers. So I am asking again here:

what are the exact steps to regenerate all the configure files within
GCC (the Subversion trunk branch, currently rev 118865 of
svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk)?

My current guess is
   GCCTOP=${1:-/usr/src/Lang/basile-ggcc/}
   cd $GCCTOP  || { echo failed to cd $GCCTOP ; exit 1 }
   pwd
   rm -rf autom4te.cache */autom4te.cache

   autogen Makefile.def
   autoconf2.13
   autoconf2.13
   echo done twice autoconf2

   cd gcc
   pwd
   autoheader-2.59
   autoheader-2.59
   echo done twice autoheader-2.59

   autoconf-2.59
   autoconf-2.59
   echo done twice autoconf-2.59

   echo done regen-basile-gcc

but I thought that a toplevel autoreconf might be enough...

So what are the exact steps to regenerate the GCC configure scripts?

Sometimes I am getting things like

aclocal:configure.ac:1120: warning: macro `AM_LC_MESSAGES' not found in library
configure.ac:1120: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_LC_MESSAGES

What does that means exactly. I don't define or use the AM_LC_MESSAGES

But the error is not reproducible... Disappears after rerunning stuff
(details in my messages on GCC list, see their URLs above)

Feel free to edit the
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Regenerating_GCC_Configuration
 wiki page

regards