Re: systems requiring exit?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: systems requiring exit?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:20:09 -0800

"Ilya N. Golubev" <address@hidden> writes:

>> OS/390 and z/OS
>> conftests failed using "return" (SEGV)
>
> So the issue reappears even on some modern systems,

Calling them "modern" is a bit of a stretch.  As I understand it,
these are pre-1989 systems (or is it pre-1979?) that are being used by
retrocomputing developers, perhaps in order to use stuff that IBM
placed in the public domain way back when.

It's not a large audience, and if the audience has to deal with a bug
with the return value of 'main' being incompatible with C89, it should
be fairly easy for them to fix it.

Autoconf, Automake etc. has never been intended to support
retrocomputing.  That is quite a specialized area, and its
requirements would place unacceptable burdens on mainline development.