Re: autoconf config issue: what does ``|#_!!_#|'' mean?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: autoconf config issue: what does ``|#_!!_#|'' mean?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:07:53 -0800

Paul Eggert wrote:
> Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> One of my "clients" is seeing this 8 character weirdism in all
>> of the substitution expressions, rendering the configured files
>> all completely broken.  I've not seen it before and don't know
>> how it happens.  Any hints?  Thanks - Bruce
>
> Please see
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2006-06/msg00125.html>.

Hi Paul,

All that I can derive from that thread is that it is not an autoconf
problem.  Well, I can also derive that if I tell someone to simply
remove the ``|#_!!_#|'' from config.status  then all will be fine.
I won't do that, of course.  I need to know why autoconf decided to
leave its internal marker in the config.status output.  So, it is
not autoconf's fault, and it must be mine, but there are no docs
that explain the cause of the problem.  It is also difficult to
Google for special characters.  What do I do?  Thank you!

Regards, Bruce