Re: correct check for -rdynamic

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: correct check for -rdynamic
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:03:54 +0200

Hello Dan,

* Dan McMahill wrote on Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 07:45:04AM CEST:
> Anyone have a correct check to see if the compiler needs/accepts
> -rdynamic or maybe -Wl,--export-dynamic?

Not quite, but Libtool has a table of things this translates to, see
$export_dynamic_flag_spec (plus $wl).  If you use Libtool, I guess you
could just use that, otherwise you could still try to rip that out,
but it wouldn't be fun.

A decent test for export_dynamic would probably involve creating a
shared module that depends on some symbol in the main program, and
a run test that opened it.  Libtool does not do such a test at
configure time currently, it merely tries (for a different reason) a
dlopen of the program itself, see AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN_SELF in libtool.m4,
and uses export_dynamic_flag_spec during that.

Hope that helps.