unexpected editing of argument to AH_BOTTOM

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: unexpected editing of argument to AH_BOTTOM
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:15:55 -0400

I'm using autoconf 2.60a.

Given the following configure script,

  AC_INIT
  AC_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)
  AH_BOTTOM([
  #define FOO
  #if defined (__LOSER_SYSTEM__)
  #undef FOO
  #endif
  ])
  AC_OUTPUT

running

  autoheader
  autoconf
  ./configure

produces the following config.h file:

  /* config.h.  Generated from config.h.in by configure.  */
  /* config.h.in.  Generated from configure.in by autoheader.  */

  /* Define to the address where bug reports for this package should be sent. */
  #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""

  /* Define to the full name of this package. */
  #define PACKAGE_NAME ""

  /* Define to the full name and version of this package. */
  #define PACKAGE_STRING ""

  /* Define to the one symbol short name of this package. */
  #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""

  /* Define to the version of this package. */
  #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""

  #define FOO
  #if defined (__LOSER_SYSTEM__)
  /* #undef FOO */
  #endif

Note that the #undef is commented out.  The documentation for
AH_BOTTOM says

  ? Macro: AH_BOTTOM (text)

      Include text at the bottom of the header template file.

so I wasn't expecting the text to be modified.  I can easily work
around the problem by avoiding #undef in the argument to AH_BOTTOM,
but I'm wondering whether this behavior is a bug or feature.

Thanks,

jwe