Re: CC=cc ./configure or ./configure CC=cc

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: CC=cc ./configure or ./configure CC=cc
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:24:03 -0400 (EDT)

> Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > Try ./config.status --version.
>
> Thanks! But how could I have guessed this functionality is available under
> this option?

> $ ./config.status --help
>   -V, --version    print version number, then exit
>
> Should better say:
>
>   -V, --version    print version number and configuration settings, then exit
>
> Bruno

Also 'config.status --recheck && config.status' is useful for re-running
configure with the same options show in config.status.  (This is done
automatically after regeration of configure and Makefile.in, by the
makefile rules when maintainer mode is off.)  This works with and without
config.cache (-C).  If you always invoke configure with -C (I do), then
removing config.cache before rerunning is a good way of forcing a recache
of all variables.  I also find config.status --version useful for
generating a configuration string to store in executables.

Honestly, I didn't RTFM to learn these features of config.status, but I
discovered them reading through config.status, and watching what happens
during automatic regeneration.  To this day, I still don't know where they
are in the manual, but the information is handily available in the
generated scrips and Makefiles.  :)

Fang