Re: CC=cc ./configure or ./configure CC=cc

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: Re: CC=cc ./configure or ./configure CC=cc
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 08:56:31 -0600

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

> 4) If "./configure CC=cc" is supported, people may easily think the
>    same holds for "make". Such as "make CC=cc" or
>    "make install prefix=/opt/gnu". But these are unsupported (the
>    first one because so many details about $CC are extracted into
>    config.h, the second one because paths to message catalogs etc.
>    are hardcoded into the built executables).

Is the "make install prefix=/something" method OK for static libraries
and executables?

Also is it just a GNU make thing, or is it widely supported in makes?

I get questions of how to change the install directory after the
package is already built.

Usually someone forgets to specify the --prefix option to configure,
and remembers after the package is all built that they want it
someone other than the default location. Is their only recourse to
rerun configure?

(And in the case of shared libraries, they must run make clean first
too, right?)

Thanks!

Ed
--