autoconf to cross compile on linux to win32 using Microsoft tools

From: Douglas C. MacKenzie
Subject: autoconf to cross compile on linux to win32 using Microsoft tools
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:01:04 -0400

I have the microsoft C++ compiler installed on my linux box and
set it up so that I can run the command line compiler using wine.
I have hand-crafted make files that allow me to build several
packages for either native linux or WIN32 using this system.

I have moved the packages to use autotools for building on
linux, but am unable to figure out how to get the configure.ac
and makefile.am to handle cross compiling with the MS tools.

Specifically, I need to set the following for the tools:

# Use visual C++ command line compiler
CC = cl.exe
AR = lib.exe
LD = link.exe

I also need to pass special CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and ARFLAGS

I have tried following the instructions for a "Canadian Cross"
and also tried overriding everything in the configure.ac file.
Both approaches quickly fail when configure tries to determine
the default output file name, since it seems to just run CC
with both CFLAGS and LDFLAGS and expect an executable.
The MS tools have a separate linker program.

Before I spam the list with my files and error logs,
I am wondering if anyone has done something like this before
or can point me to some documentation or examples.

Thanks!

Doug