Re: Noobie question about building libraries: catch 22

From: Micah J. Cowan
Subject: Re: Noobie question about building libraries: catch 22
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:34:24 -0700

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 02:23:08PM -0700, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> I'm wanting to build a library as part of my application, but since
> configure wants to detect my library with the AC_CHECK_LIB I have in the
> configure.ac, but can't because it's not built yet, how do I do this?

> The library can't be detected by configure because it's not built yet,
> so the "make" fails as soon as it encounters a reference to a library
> routine it can't resolve.  How does one build a library in the same
> project as an application?  I've looked at the docs for libtool but
> still don't quite understand what I need to do.
>
> I greatly appreciate anyones help.

I don't see any reason whatsoever that configure should be trying to
detect that library. If you're going to build it, then you /know/ that
it'll be around for whatever else depends on it in your package.

The "make" failures is a separate issue. You need to make sure that the
library is a dependancy of whatever relies upon it, so that it will be
around to resolve references.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/