Re: Installing a directory

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Installing a directory
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:59:08 +0200

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 14:38 +0200, erik wikstrom wrote:
> I'm in the process of migrating a small project to the
> autoconf-framework and I'm almost done. The only thing left to fix is
> the installation (make install). The application consists of an binary
> executable file and a directory of images used by the executable. The
> binary is installed as correctly but I can't figure out how to install
> the directory with the images (should go into $PREFIX/share/appname).
> When I try to run make install it fails with "/usr/bin/install:
> `./images/' is a directory" which is true.
This is an automake question.

> How do I tell install that it's supposed to install a directory, is it
> even possible?

Yes.

If you have contents to populate the directory, then the directory will
be automatically created:

e.g. something like this should work:
imagesdir = $(pkgdatadir)/images
images_DATA = xxx.jpg yyy.jpg
EXTRA_DIST = xxx.jpg yyy.jpg

If you don't have contents, then you can trigger automake to create the
dir with something similar to this: