Re: nonstandard library directories

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: nonstandard library directories
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:38:15 -0600

Edward L Platt wrote:
> I'm installing the ion-3 window manager which uses autoconf for
> installation.  I'd like to install it in the default /usr/local
> prefix but with some libraries and includes from the /sw prefix.  Is
> there command line switch for the configure script that do this?

Yes.  You can add them on the ./configure command line.  First to
determine what flags are available run ./configure --help to get a
listing.  In that output you will see something similar to this which
I trimmed from another project.

  Some influential environment variables:
    CFLAGS      C compiler flags
    LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
                nonstandard directory <lib dir>
    CPPFLAGS    C/C++/Objective C preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if
                you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>

  Use these variables to override the choices made by `configure' or to help
  it to find libraries and programs with nonstandard names/locations.

So probably what you want is something similar to this:

  ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I /sw" LDFLAGS="-L /sw"

The installation is controlled by by --prefix and /usr/local is the
default.  To install in /usr/local you don't need to do anything
special and just use the default.

Bob