Re: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL (was: (no subject))

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL (was: (no subject))
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:47:31 +0000

> > On the machines where this apparently works, AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is in
> > aclocal.m4, but on subdirs where it does not work, AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is
> > *not* in aclocal.m4

> How do you invoke the subdir configure scripts from inside of your
> toplevel configure script?

The bootstrap script runs 'autoreconf -v -i' from the top-level, and
configure.ac contains:

AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(subdir)

> Can you post the output of running
> autoreconf -fv
>
> from the toplevel source dir?

autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4 -I libopts/m4
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: subdirectory arlib to autoreconf
autoreconf: Entering directory `arlib'
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: configure.in: tracing
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /opt/TWWfsw/autoconf25/bin/autoconf --force
autoreconf: configure.in: not using Autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --force-missing
autoreconf: Leaving directory `arlib'
autoreconf: configure.ac: subdirectory sntp to autoreconf
autoreconf: Entering directory `sntp'
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I libopts/m4
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
configure.ac:9: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /opt/TWWfsw/autoconf25/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

While the 3-line configure.ac I posted the other day
(
 AC_INIT(foo, 1.0, address@hidden)

 AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

 AC_OUTPUT
)
shows the problem, if you want the whole beast it's:

 http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/ntp4/ntp-dev/ntp-dev-4.2.3p12.tar.gz

and that tarball contains working copies of everything.  If you fetch
this tarball and extract it all, running 'autoreconf -vf' in the
top-level directory of the package will either work or fail.  If it
works, your system is like *most* of mine.  If it fails, your system is
like *some* of mine.