Re: conditionally using libtool

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: conditionally using libtool
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 22:03:27 -0400

> > Or could I use m4 to bring in the macro definition or not, instead of
> > relying on the sh code?
>
> Yes, that would help around the AC_REQUIREd-macros problem.
>
> This is exactly the effect of AS_IF, only that, unfortunately the AS_IF
> of Autoconf-2.59 has been m4_define'd and not AC_DEFUN'ed, so that it
> does not help in this regard.  For example, you could
>
> AC_DEFINE([br_CHOOSE_LIBBUILD],
> [if $condition; then
>   AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
> fi])
>
> and then invoke br_CHOOSE_LIBBUILD later; that will ensure required
> macros are expanded before that.

Would you mind quicly explaining how autoconf works? Meaning what are
the steps taken that generate a configure.sh script?

I understand that m4 is used. Is m4 the only tool that is run on the
configure.in file to generate the configure script? I'm trying to better
understand how macro's in an sh condition effect the outcome.

Bob Rossi