Re: Autoconf on Solaris 10 64-bit Sparcv9

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Autoconf on Solaris 10 64-bit Sparcv9
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:26:39 +0200

* Paul Eggert wrote on Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 06:52:11PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > that should've been
> >   ./configure CXXFLAGS=-m64 LDFLAGS=-m64
> >
> > of course (and also CFLAGS=-m64 if you also compile C code).
>
> Don't you also need to set CPPFLAGS too, in general?

Yes, in general you'd have to do that, too.

> Otherwise how will programs that run the preprocessor get the correct
> values for symbols like LONG_MAX?
>
> It does sound pretty inconvenient.

Well.  At least it's consistent.  (In practice, it should not be
necessary to set LDFLAGS if the per-language flags have been set.)

> I use something like CC='gcc -m64' CXX='g++ -m64', but that's not much
> better, and probably also has flaws.

In fact, with older Libtool CC='gcc -m64' was the only way to get it to
work reliably.  We've fixed that (for the cases we know about).  For
flags Libtool doesn't know you have to take measures, if you don't want
them dropped at link time; e.g., prepend "-Wc," or similarly, depending
on desired semantics (this is documented in the Libtool manual).