Re: conditionally using libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: conditionally using libtool
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:09:19 +0200

* Bob Rossi wrote on Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 04:00:03AM CEST:

> Can I do something in configure.in that says
>   if ..
>     AM_LIBTOOL
>   fi;
>
> or is this invalid?

This is invalid and will break at unfortunate places.
Use AC_PROG_LIBTOOL unconditionally (who told you to name it
AM_LIBTOOL?) and conditionalize in Makefile.am.  At most, something like
  AS_IF([condition],
        [AC_PROG_LIBTOOL])

may not totally break with upcoming Autoconf-2.60; but I have not tested
that nor verified it in any way, so consider yourself warned.