Autotest: using $abs_srcdir with m4_include

From: Nathaniel D. Sizemore
Subject: Autotest: using $abs_srcdir with m4_include
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:24:30 -0600

Using Autotest (in Autoconf 2.59), I have a suite in which the tests are grouped logically in directories. To ease the process of adding tests for the rest of the dev team, each subdirectory has its own 'testsuite.at' file that is included at the top-level tests directory by using m4_include. For example, if the directory structure is like

myProject/tests/
  type1/
    testsuite.at
    other files needed for tests
  type2/
    testsuite.at
    other files needed for tests
  type3/
    testsuite.at
    other files needed for tests

then the testsuite.at file in myProject/tests/ would have the following lines:

m4_include([$abs_srcdir/type1/testsuite.at])
m4_include([$abs_srcdir/type2/testsuite.at])
m4_include([$abs_srcdir/type3/testsuite.at])

However, I've discovered that $abs_srcdir does not get expanded in the m4_include() macro for some reason. I'm using it (and other variables from atconfig) elsewhere, in such macros at AT_CHECK(), and all is well.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to have m4_include expand the variables I need, or failing that, some way to replace m4_include with a workaround?

My thanks for any insights or suggestions.

--
Nathaniel D. Sizemore, Technical Staff
Tech-X Corporation | 5621 Arapahoe Ave Suite A | Boulder, CO  80303