Re: Broken makefile given Autoconf version mismatch

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Broken makefile given Autoconf version mismatch
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:40:04 +0200

Hello,

I proposed:
> > >  Stepan> I would suffice if autoconf, when called in 3) updated
> > > ./configure.
[plus]

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:51:26PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Also, you are munging time stamps behind `make's back.

yes, this convinces me that Alexandre's patch is the right way to go.

(FWIIW, I read his (second) patch, and I think it is good.)

Have a nice day,
        Stepan

BTW, you said:
> This would silently break lots of `bootstrap' scripts that call
>   aclocal
>   automake
>   autoconf
>
> in that order, instead of the other way.  (Remember that was the order
> in which autoreconf-2.13 called them; [...]

It wouldn't break them, I think, it would only slow them down.
During the first `make', automake would update all Makefile.in's and
the build would continue.  But yes, it wouldn't be nice.