Re: configure sets CFLAGS or how to disable default CFLAGS='-g -O2' for

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: configure sets CFLAGS or how to disable default CFLAGS='-g -O2' for gcc?
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:06:51 +0200

Please accept my apologies if you feel I'm beating a dead horse.

* Chris Pickett wrote on Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:03:28AM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* Chris Pickett wrote on Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:28:23AM CEST:
> >
> >>For example, I didn't know AC_PROG_CC set "-g -O2", even
> >>though I had been using it for a while.
> >
> >Quoting info Autoconf "C Compiler":

> I know that now, of course.

Oh, I only thought it useful to point out because AC_PROG_CC simply
doesn't always set CFLAGS to "-g -O2".  (And while you may have known
that by the time I replied, other, possibly future, readers of this
thread may not.)

> What I meant was that I don't always read or perhaps more importantly
> remember the full documentation for every single command I use,
> especially when they appear to be working just fine.

While it would make a maintainer's job a lot easier much of the time,
I don't think anybody really expects that every user inhales the full
manual before using a tool.  I usually try to search the documentation
for some keyword before asking; and it shows, too: whenever I chose a
bad keyword, I end up asking rather naive questions.. the list archives
can tell.

> I'm a human catastrophe.

Nobody implied anything like that, really.   :-)