Re: Changing PACKAGE_BUGREPORT?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Changing PACKAGE_BUGREPORT?
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:57:43 +0200

Hi Eric,

* Eric Blake wrote on Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 03:25:29PM CEST:

> I maintain the cygwin port of findutils,
> and am wondering if there is any easier way to change what
> PACKAGE_BUGREPORT points to, short of modifying configure.ac and running
> autoreconf.  I am thinking that changing the reporting address to cygwin
> first would allow myself and other cygwin developers to filter out real
> upstream bugs from cygwin-specific issues, avoiding some of the confusion
> apparent in the mentioned bug-findutils thread.

Some food for thought: what if the upstream would like to have more
reports actually reach him and not (only) the maintainers, who may add
non-portable changes to the "adapted" package, which makes upstream
maintenance, umm, "more interesting", because those changes then
show up on other systems where they don't work?  Say, hypothetically.

> Should autoconf provide an easy hook at ./configure time for package
> maintainers of various ports to easily change the email address to their
> port mailing list instead of the upstream mailing list, comparable to
> other hooks like --bindir for changing where the installation takes place?

There may be a reason to not make it even easier than it is..